Thursday, October 1, 2009

Why can't I take a picture?

One thing that I am very confused about is the fact that people have problems when you take pictures of them in Second Life. I admit that I don't believe that it is normal but that fact that Dr. Essid had to make sure that we knew to ask people if it was OK to take a picture is slightly discouraging. Some of the sights beg to be photographed and I would worry if there was a large group of people there, in which one or two might object. I feel this doesn't reflect real life, because you never have to tell a child, "here's a camera, but you have to ask everyone around you before you use it." That makes no sense! On a side note, I believe the SL term for real life is first life but I refuse to go so far into the Uncanny Valley that I have to specify whether I am talking about Real life or a computer program.

This question sticks with me because I do not know that much of Second Life and I am aware of my ignorance. I do not expect to overcome this in a day or even a month but I would like to know more about the picture taking etiquette. I understand that people have written overwrite codes to establish that they don't look like a newbie every time they take a picture. I can also understand why people wouldn't want to look like they were taking a picture is they were gathering evidence to report to the administrators, but I cannot conceive why people would object to having their picture taken at a random site. I would never object to a picture as I control the avatar and wouldn't do something with it that I wouldn't want captured for eternity through another person's lens.

2 comments:

  1. You may always take landscape shots and ones where the avatars are part of the scene but not the subject.

    Some of the anger comes from the "camera sound" when you snap a pic (there is a quiet method--see http://iggyssyllabus.pbworks.com/Using+your+camera). At live-music events and ones with voice, I have heard folks angrily ask "who's taking pictures?!?" because the camera sounds disrupt hearing music or a speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll need to meet, by the way. You uploaded photos here instead of putting them in Koinup then embedding; that will make the snaps load a LOT faster.

    ReplyDelete