Thursday, September 3, 2009

I don't want to transition to college writing

If I just spent four years learning the tools I needed to write a worth while paper, and now my professors have told me to forget all of it, what happens in another four years?

I want to put aside the notion any future or current employer will ask for an in depth analysis in a certain form or layout. I will be writing memos and reports, and I need to know how to write like a professional. The world is moving away from long documented reports and files, so teach me how to communicate effectively in the grand scheme of things.

I was wary of blogs, second life and other online resources because I find it hard to imagine a CEO blogging, but it seems every other teenage girl I knew was on twitter. Then I started paying attention, I see Dick Cheney on twitter and businesses on facebook. So maybe the fear of the unknown is just a fear of the uncertainty but the Internet is the newest form of information transfer and the more ways we have for communication the better!

So please don't transition me to college writing, help me transition to real world application!

I have only seen a small snippet of the world, based on prior jobs and other experiences and the use of blogs and other new forms of communication are the new information highway. Will someone please tell me if this is the right track? Academic or any other industry please confirm this. I don't want to be told to forget everything I've learned again in four years!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot speak for anyone outside academe. But I'll employ ethos here--as an academic, I've seen the least technically savvy, most questioning group of folks in the world (humanities faculty) slowly come to see merit in online collaborative media like blogs and wikis.

    If they are "coming around" you can bet that those in the corporate sector are, as well.

    So when you write "So please don't transition me to college writing, help me transition to real world application!" I think we are doing this here.

    Your post has a nice focus and sticks to it. Blogs, like most shorter forms of business writing, must do that.

    ReplyDelete